Monday, August 27, 2012

Celebrating the Ordinary -- Day 2

Today's post is designed to celebrate another family member -- my cat Cosette.

She is beyond special to me. I adopted her from a shelter the day after my breast cancer diagnosis. She innately understood the sorrow and anguish I was feeling and approached me, sticking her paw out of the cage to touch me.

Cosette and I were both sick, it turns out. She had an almost-fatal respiratory infection, and I held her for hours trying to comfort her, and she purred trying to comfort me.

She was hospitalized the day before I went into the hospital to get my lumpectomy and axillary node dissection. I joked that we should've had adjoining beds, as we were both in our respective hospitals on the same day.

After she had recovered, she wouldn't leave my side through cancer treatments. In turn, despite my being sick from chemo and radiation, I would take her to the veterinarian for many followup visits. 

She also comforted me during my divorce and through several cancer scares/surgeries. 

Cosette is quite playful and has fur as soft as a rabbit's. She is not a total lap cat, but she loves to lay her head on my lap for hours. She's my ever-steady, faithful companion.


My Sweet Friend

9 comments:

  1. Wonderful picture of the fantastically named Cosette and what a great story!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Marie! She is one special kitty indeed.

      Delete
  2. She is a cutie pie!! A very pretty kitty.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Cosette! How did she get her name? The purring of a cat is so therapeutic, kind of like hypnosis. Just focus on the sound and let it take you away from your troubles.

    Like you, I love my four-legged family members. Goldie has me really worried, tonight. It's too soon to tell, but it may be nearing time for her to go live with God. I may write about that, tomorrow. We'll see.

    XOXOXO,
    Brenda

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Brenda,

      I named her Cosette after a character in Les Miserables. It seemed very fitting, and I thought the name was pretty. You are right about a cat's purring. It is amazingly hypnotic.

      I'm sorry to hear about Goldie. Please let me know how she is doing. I'll check out your blog for an update.

      Delete
  4. Well, you and Cosette have turned out to be through much together. Now that does make kitty even more special. I'm a cat lover myself, though I am about to grab one of my boys by the scruff - as we speak he's sticking his big fat mug in my water glass.

    Hey, this picture posting project is fun. A way to keep connecting through one from the heart story after another through the week.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Rachel,

      Yes, we've been through several "wars" together. Yes, cats do the most amazing/irritating things. I do love this photo challenge. Really lifts my spirits.

      Delete
  5. So glad you have such a fabulous feline to help you through the rough times. My cat, AJ, has been like that, too. Every morning, he comes to me for his morning cuddle. And he makes my daughter feel better when she's down. And he's a great mouser! Dogs get all the great PR, but cats love us their own quiet way.

    ReplyDelete